- ESA, the European Commission and Promus Ventures join efforts for a Space Index launched, developed, and maintained by Euronext.
- This is the first Euronext European space-related index to measure the stock market performance of European companies in the space sector.
- The European Commission, ESA and Promus Ventures intend to provide their expert advice in their respective areas of activity to Euronext in relation to the index.
NEWS RELEASE — January 26, 2023 – The Euronext Space Index is designed to display a fair and balanced financial representation of European-born and European-operated space companies. It will boost the visibility of companies in the index and guide the creation of financial products to support investment strategies. It responds to a need to synthesise information within the space sector, and its evolving trend reflects the degree of confidence that investors place in stock market products. This index offers several benefits for the space sector:
- It serves as a barometer of the financial markets by indicating the performance of space companies within a broad economic context, thereby guiding investors.
- It provides a benchmark and point of reference for management companies, enabling users to compare the performance of the space sector to other indexes such as the CAC40 in France.
- It is intended to provide exposure to financial markets and increase the visibility of the space sector and space companies entering the public market. It is also intended to facilitate the participation of individuals less informed on the space sector into public markets, thereby contributing to the growth of the valuation of the sector.
The Euronext Space Index was officially launched by Euronext on 24 January 2023. The joint declaration was signed on the same day by
- ESA Director General, Joseph Aschbacher,
- Directorate-General for Defence Industry and Space for the European Commission, Timo Pesonen,
- CEO at Euronext, Stéphane Boujnah,
- Partner at Promus Ventures, Pierre Festal representing Orbital Ventures
Furthermore, a Mutual License Agreement was signed on the same day by:
- Géraldine Naja, ESA Director for Commercialisation, Industry and Procurement
- Stéphane Boujnah, CEO and Chairman of the Managing Board of Euronext N.V.
- Pierre Festal, partner at Promus Ventures representing Orbital Ventures
This agreement between ESA, Euronext and Orbital Ventures sets the contractual framework for the identification by ESA and Promus Ventures of the companies to be listed in the index launched on January 24th, 2023, and for the use by ESA and Promus Ventures of the index launched by Euronext.
The index is accessible at EN HELIOS SPACE 4,495.83 | Euronext exchange Live quotes. More info, included publicly listed space companies at EUROPEAN SPACE INDEX – ESA Commercialisation Gateway.
Featured image: From left to right : Josef Aschbacher, Timo Pesonen, Pierre Festal, Stéphane Boujnah with the Signed Joint Declaration. Credit: ESA